Packaging textiles include all textile
packing material for industrial, agricultural and other goods. The demand
for packing material is directly proportional to economic growth, industrial
production and trade as goods are produced and then distributed both locally
and internationally. The growing (environmental) need for reusable packages
and containers is opening new opportunities for textile products in this
Sacks and bags made of traditional jute, cotton or natural fiber are
gradually casting way for modern synthetic fibers. These technical textiles,
used in packaging and subsequent transportation are called PACKTECH.
It is well known that these fabrics are ideal for many kinds of packaging.
At one end, PACKTECH includes heavyweight, dense woven fabrics (used for
bags, sacks, flexible intermediate bulk carriers and wrappings for textile
bales and carpets) and on the other end, it includes lightweight non wovens
used as durable papers, tea bags and other food and industrial product
The use of textile materials in consumer packaging is exhibited in the
- FIBC big bags (Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers),for powdered
and granular materials
- Laundry bags and other bulk packaging products
- Sacks for storage etc
- Twine and string for tying packages, etc (excludes agricultural
- Non-paper tea bags and coffee filters
- Food soaker pads
- Net packaging for storing, packing, transporting, retailing
- Woven fiber strapping, lightweight mailbags.
- Soft luggage
Defense/Civil Defense are industries
which rely heavily on technology. Apart from hi-tech weaponry and
ammunitions, the induction of technical textiles in this sector has
revolutionized the concept of security. It is the new range of chemicals and
fabrics being used by the armed forces that has redefined safety parameters
for the military. From specialized clothing to hi-tech accessories,
technical textiles have made it big in the defense sector.
Not only defense but the protective clothing covers garments and
accessories intended to protect people from dangerous or hazardous materials
and processes during the course of their work or leisure activities. These
textiles enhance performance by ensuring wind or water proofing, flame
retardancy, breathability, lightness etc. in clothing used by firemen,
Para-military forces & security forces. The major applications of
technical textiles in this field are:
- Tents, sleeping systems, weapons rolls, bandoleers to combat foul
- Fire service equipment, bullet-proof jackets, army tents, parachutes,
extinguishing blankets, tubes
- Fabrics with waterproof and breathable membrane
- Mountain safety ropes, climbing harness
- Protective clothing fabrics for protection from fire, bullets etc.
- Special jackets, attire to combat severe temperatures
- Fabrics for disposable garments worn to provide protection against
harmful chemicals and gases, pesticides etc.
- Fluorescent and Phosphorescent fabrics for Gilets, trousers etc.